Tuesday, February 3, 2009

couch

Dear Old Couch,

I'm sorry to say you're being replaced.  While you've been loyal and always by our [back]sides, the time has come for someone else to enjoy you - and hopefully give you a thorough, professional cleaning. 

Regards,

Jon and Craig

From Couch

This couch has seen everything.  If it could speak, it would surely say something like, "humans are utterly disgusting". 

We really do like the couch.  If the stairwell to the basement was bigger, it would be fixed up and kept.  I feel like it's an important piece of furniture as it was one of our first bigger purchases as a couple.  Anyhow, it has a few broken bones from all the moving - Cincinnati, Houston, Cleveland, Huntsville AL, and now Baltimore.  Also, as of late, if the pillows are situated just right, you might be lucky enough to get a waft of an unknown odor prompting thoughts like, "Is that..? nah, they don't even have a cat".

It'd be great with some TLC and hopefully someone will find it at the Salvation Army to give it just that.  Unless of course one of you want it for free?

Meet Petrie:


This is the couch we just ordered from Crate and Barrel.  The Petrie is typical 60's design; big; super comfortable; clean lines; totally marvelous; and I quote, "lets you slouch in comfort".  A slouch couch - PERFECT.  We selected the Charcoal color and are regularly wetting our pants with excitement.  It won't be delivered until April (grrr) but it’s nice knowing the couch is being specifically built for Project Rowhouse.  Here are a few other pictures I rounded up from the interweb.




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you guys had lived in Cincinnati! (maybe DW did).

Can I guess where?

I'm going to say E. Walnut Hills, second guess, Liberty Hill, and third guess Newport, Ky.

How'd I do?

:)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think I mentioned it to you all at one point. Good guessing, ha! We actually did live in East Walnut Hills in one of my FAVORITE apartments ever. http://paradromesquare.com/ExteriorPhotos.htm - it's the first, Clermont, such a cool building (although, I'm not sure how that neighborhood is these days). I grew up on the west side in Colerain and Craig grew up in Garrettsville, near Cleveland (we met in college at UC).

Corey said...

I like your new couch! We went with a similar style sofa too. :-)

Going with what Mark said above, my last abode was also in Alabama, though further south in Mobile.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the cat that comes with your new couch (3rd picture!). Hope the dogs don't mind :)

JM

Anonymous said...

I know that building well! I used to live on St. James back in the 80's.

And yes, that neighborhood isn't what I had hoped it would become.

I think I walked through that building. It has servants entrances in the backs of many apartments, right?

Mark

Jon said...

That's it, Mark! We had a maid's entrance in the kitchen that had a scary old stairwell going up to the attic where each apartment had a room for it's maid. They also went down to the basement that was possibly the scariest thing I ever saw - doing laundry at night required gym shoes and fast legs.
Also, there was apparently a man known as the Cincinnati Strangler in the 70's and one of his victims was killed in the basement! Familiar?

Anonymous said...

That's really funny. I remember looking at those places like it was yesterday, even though it was, like, 1987. Small world. I used to frequent that Krogers just down the street from you. I actually got on a first name basis with the butchers and vegetable folks. They seemed to appreciate the modicum of respect because I got great service and pretty good product in what was a pretty dumpy grocery.

Re: the strangler, here's a blast from the past..

http://web.archive.org/web/20050309215503/http://www.cincypost.com/2002/mar/01/lasky030102.html

Mark

Mike said...

You should sell it!

I have the same couch - a Klaussner, I believe - I bought mine in like-new condition on craigslist with a matching ottoman and love seat for $700.

Give it a shot - you can always use extra cash!

spicemeep said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
spicemeep said...

Good bye old couch. I too will miss you. You were my comfort many nights and long hung-over days. We shared many Zorba chicken parmesan sandwiches together and won many games of trivia. If I were closer, I would take you in and love you more then ever. You will always be in my heart.

Love Always,
Lynsey

PS: I will question Chicken and Tember about the mysterious odor within your pillows.