Monday, April 26, 2010

cork art

If I saw a blot post title that said “cork art” it would serve as the immediate red flag preparing me for something hideous. People do truly terrible and tasteless things using wine corks.

Despite the typically tacky fate, I understand and share the mutual desire to use these little barriers in creative ways. I like the color, the aesthetic, and the fact that it’s the only thing separating me from that scrumptious nectar within. Hopefully you'll agree that we used cork in a way that doesn't rouse your gag reflex.

We started this project because we wanted something interesting behind the dart board. Because it ended up looking pretty sweet and it would have required every cork under the Tuscan sun to cover our intended area, we decided to stop at this size and hang it in the dining room.





This took more corks that we anticipated. Thanks goes out to our fellow wine-drinking friends for the supplemental art supply. Of particular note is our roommates parental units, the often drunk Greg and Carol of Vermont who shipped in a box full! Other materials: plywood, mastic, construction adhesive, polyurethane and a few picture hanging supplies.

Initially I used some leftover mastic (from the kitchen backsplash) and just pressed each cork in like a tile. I went completely random, which provided a nice mix of colors and height.

The mastic worked okay, but construction adhesive proved vital for completing the edges and reinforcing loose corks throughout the center area. For the edges I allowed the corks to dictate the somewhat organic lines and tried to keep thought OUT of the process (a gift in which I excel).





Once everything was securely in place, about ten coats of leftover glossy polyurethane (from the floors) was applied over the course of a few weeks using a paint brush.

33 comments:

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

This is so cool! I drink wine like it's my last day on earth, so this is something I can do with all the corks. Right now we are writing the date on the side when we open the bottle, maybe those could be around the edges....thanks for sharing!

Matt said...

Wow that's great. I don't think I have nearly enough corks to pull something like that off though.

Beancountingqueen said...

Wow, I love it! I have been collecing corks for over a year now. They are just sitting in a huge glass canister at the moment. Might have to steal this idea someday!

xoxo

謝宗娟 said...

IS VERY GOOD..............................

shapewear said...

You must have drunk a lot of wine to make one of those. And I must admit, thats a lot of wine corks.

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael said...

aren't cork trees endangered too?

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Home Renovation Guide said...

Thanks for this post. It Very nice Blog. It was a very good Blog. I like it. Thanks for sharing knowledge. Ask you to share good Blog again.

Anonymous said...

Are all of the corks you used real? or are some of them synthetic? It's hard to tell by looking at the picture and I would love to make one of my own :)

Jon said...

They're all real wine-stopping devices... although, some of them are not cork but rather a plastic synthetic material that many wineries use.

Victoryperfect said...

Thanks for sharing, I will bookmark and be back again


Row House

Unknown said...

This is a terrific idea. Do you have any idea how many corks it took? Also, was it a heavy piece to put up on a wall? Thanks so much for sharing your creative wine cork idea. We think it is fabulous!!! What a fun talking piece to have in your place.

Jon said...

Thanks, Unknown - I don't know the exact count, but it took way more than I ever thought it would! I had some shipped in from friends.

Also, it is quite heavy, but mostly because I used a scrap plywood piece I already had that was 3/4" thick - I'd think you could get the same effect with a thinner, lighter base.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for your input on the number of corks and using lighter plywood!

hoopono said...

I noticed a couple of corks with colored wax.. please forgive this question, but I love those too... Where did you get those from?

Unknown said...

I love the art. What did you use on the back of the plywood to hang the piece of art?

Jon said...

The hardware on the back is just some heavy duty picture hanging hardware. You can find this at many stores.

Anonymous said...

Great idea!! I just finished my version of this and it was so easy to do and looks great! I used contrustion adhesive as well, but for the entire thing, and it worked wonderfully. I used a 2'x2' 1/4'' width plywood as the base, and it took around 800 corks. I got a spray clear glaze from the local craft store for a glossy finish.

Thanks again, this is BEAUTIFUL!!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to do this project because I have so many corks it's silly. I think that I'll be skipping the gloss though. Personally I think it takes away from the piece of art. It's way too shiny.

aimless said...

I probably have double the number of corks in this project...have saved them for YEARS, knowing the perfect project would eventually surface. This might be it!! The sealant is a good idea, holds it all together and makes cleaning it very easy - but a satin finish would be less distracting.

Anonymous said...

I like the shiny finish.

Brittany Jean said...

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing! I think I might just start a board and have it as an ongoing project. Kind of like a reward for every time I finish a bottle of wine ;).

Anonymous said...

I was wondering how did you finish the side?

Anonymous said...

It looks fantastic! Beautifully balanced. I was just wondering, how do you hide the plywood board?

holidays in killarney said...

Nice post.I like the way you start and then conclude your thoughts. Thanks for this information .I really appreciate your work, keep it up.

Laurie said...

LOVE this, and am in the process of collecting corks for my own. A suggestion for anyone saving up - I recently had dinner at a winery, and when I asked if they had any corks laying around, the bartender handed over a box full!

Michael Kraus said...

What type of glue was used for the corks around the edges?

Lindsay said...

Can I ask you how you hung this on the wall? We just made one, but used a particle board (bad idea!).... and have no idea how to attach it to the wall.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I want to begin this project this week. To make sure that I understand, what did you use to glue the corks on? And the mastic and adhesive is what you used to glue it? Am I getting this right? TIA.

jay said...

Is that one on the wall a 3' x 3' ?

فن said...

thank you
good

Lauren Forney said...

THANK YOU for this totally awesome idea. I just completed mine and it's STUNNING. It's so unique and different looking compared to other cork art. Mine came out to about 1200 corks believe it or not! I was hoping to save money on making this piece but purchasing used corks blasted that idea - HA! It was SO worth it though. THANKS!